ABOUT JUSTICE DEFENDERS
Picture this: an overcrowded and under-resourced prison full of men, women, or even children who have not been found guilty. This is the case for three million people around the world currently affected by the excessive use of pre-trial detention.
In many countries, suspects are detained in prison almost automatically once they are arrested. Whatever the offence. Some, yes, are guilty. Many are poor and unjustly targeted. At Justice Defenders, we want to see justice served; it’s vital for all of us. What we don’t want to see is people filling our prisons simply because there was no one to equip them to fight for justice.
Justice Defenders is a registered UK charity and US non profit. Founded in 2007, we work across Africa, training incarcerated people and prison officers to become paralegals. Our 31 prison-based legal offices in Uganda, Kenya and The Gambia are run by more than 300 paralegals. By equipping justice defenders to facilitate a just legal process, we help ensure a fair hearing at the point of greatest need. As everyone deserves the right to tell their story.
Justice Defenders is a data-driven, impact-focused not for profit organisation. Robust evidence data of our services is foundational to all our functions: it serves fundraising, guides our legal work and drives organisational learning and decision-making. As such, evidence and compliance with JD’s standards sustain operations at all levels, fulfilling a vital role in the organisation’s stability and growth.
We are seeking a Monitoring and Evaluation Manager who will specifically lead on evidencing the outcome of Justice Defenders’ legal work within Kenya. Primarily, this position will be responsible for producing quantitative and qualitative evidence, identifying what is behind good practice and positive results.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Manager serves as a member of the in-country Leadership Team, providing insights into organisational performance and trends to inform growth and decision-making. The evidence this role brings will enable Justice Defenders to scale its operations and demonstrate the social and financial case for investment with donors and the general public.
Are you someone who enjoys building effective systems for driving evidence to serve us in the long run? We are looking for a leader with a passion for justice, who wants to play a key role in our fast-growing organisation. Come work with us at this incredibly exciting time for Justice Defenders.
● Provide expertise in monitoring and evaluation planning and methodology
● Provide leadership to our work in building evidence for Justice Defenders’ legal education, training and practice within Kenya and contexts.
● Provide oversight of all aspects of our legal education, training and practice indicators.
● Set Justice Defenders’ roadmap for evidence-based decision making.
● Implement a data-driven approach, creating a core analytical capability, and building a culture of high commitment to excellence across Justice Defenders.
Day-to-Day Monitoring and Evaluation Activities
● Design and Implement monitoring systems and tools
● Developing data collection tools
● Monitor country office activities, outputs and progress towards anticipated results
● Work with data platforms, databases and select technologies to capture and organize data
● Train staff in monitoring and evaluation processes and provide ongoing coaching
● Conduct and/or provide support towards data quality assessments
Analysis and Reporting
● Determining data analysis procedures and use of quantitative or qualitative analysis tools
● Cleaning, sorting, categorizing and organizing data
● Analysing quantitative and/or qualitative data and summarizing findings
● Drive the production of engaging dashboards and reports for internal and external stakeholders.
● Ensure our use of data is aligned with our values and honours those we work alongside.
● Provide mentoring and training within our team, and create a nurturing environment that encourages the growth and development of colleagues in their work relating to evidence.
● Contribute to organisational learning processes
● Convene communities of practice and other organizational learning practices
● Track best practices in monitoring and evaluation
We are looking for candidates who possess the following skills, competencies and experiences:
● Background in evidence/data quality control and data analysis.
● Recognised track-record inbuilding evidence / monitoring and evaluation (ideally within a law firm or criminal justice organisation).
● Experience of setting up and leading high performing teams.
● Advanced skills in qualitative and / or quantitative methodologies and analysis (and use ofrelevant analysis tools such as MaxQDA, Nivivo, R, STATA etc).
● Outstanding written output and the ability to produce documents in a timely manner and with eye for detail.
● Strong interpersonal skills and alignment with the values of Justice Defenders.
● Ideally expertise in monitoring legal practice, possibly as part of a law firm.
Reports to: Country Director
Line Management: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Hours: 40 hours per week.
Application deadline: 11th April, 2023
We especially encourage applications from those who have been in prison, and from those who consider themselves to be part of minority groups.